Monday, March 7, 2016

He Has Shared It wit Us!!! 2 Pt 1: 1-11 New King James Version (NJKV)


He Has Shared It with Us!!!

2 Pt 1: 1-11 New King James Version (NJKV)





Purpose: To understand that God has shared His divine nature in us



1 Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ,

To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord,

as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue,

by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge,

 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness,

to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble;

11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

This is the Word of God,

for the people of God.

Praise be to God.

Amen.





He Has Shared It with Us!!!

2 Pt 1: 1-11 New King James Version (NJKV)





Purpose: To understand that God has shared His divine nature in us



Outline
 I.                   Introduction

Talk about dreams. What is a day dreamer?  
II.                 What is sin?

III.              Explanation of the biblical text, 2 Pt 1:1-11

IV.              Conclusion[s] 
V.          Listening of the CD: Jeremy Camp, I will follow, song 9




He Has Shared It with Us!!!

2 Pt 1: 1-11 New King James Version (NJKV)





Purpose: To understand that God has shared His divine nature in us







            Have you ever asked to yourself why do we dream? Or what is a dream? First no one knows why we dream. There are speculation and theories in some disciplines such as psychology but no single consensus has been reached.[1] What I have found is that if something really impacts me through the day or triggers my memory to something good or sad or even ugly that I have experienced in the past, I dreamed with something related it at night. Also, I have discovered that sometimes God communicates to me through my dreams. For example, when I need to surrender something or someone to God that I have been holding it, I dream with it. Or when I need to do something that I have been afraid to do. Other times, simply God wants me to be still and recognize, watch, and wait how He takes care of things. My dreams can be so realistic that I have awaked even with tears. Other times, I have awaked sweating and with fear because someone was chasing me trying to catch me and who knows what else!!! I remembered that once, I dreamed with a family having a picnic and swimming in a beautiful landscape. Other times, my dreams are confusing and not very clear. One day, I dreamed that my youngest son was a bug with a human head. It seems like dreams are able to reflect our emotions.

            What about day dreaming. Are we daydreamers? I have been a day dreamer my entire life. Yes, I like to dream, and to plan, and to dream again, and to plan again. When I am awake and totally conscious of myself. I am a big day dreamer and when I dream, I dream big.  On one hand, it has brought me headaches and hard times because I used to be unrealistic. That means I used to daydream with things I could never reach such as I wanted to be Miss Mexico. Well for obvious reason I couldn’t reach my dream. I couldn’t be Miss Mexico.

However, my frustration and disappointment of not being Miss Mexico didn’t stop me to keep dreaming. Actually, my day dreaming interest has evolved from unrealistic to idealistic. Here, we have a tremendous difference. To be unrealistic, is to be out of the reality such as my situation to become Miss Mexico. And, to be idealistic, is someone who has high morals or intellectual values; elevate in nature or style; a grand purpose.[2] I really believe with all my mind and my heart that each person in GUMC is an idealistic person. And, I am going to add two words to the definition: Christian and ethics. We are good people. People with high Christian morals and ethics with great purpose because God has share His divine nature with us and His dreams with us.

            How do we know such good news are real and not unrealistic? Because the Holy Spirit lives inside us. God has shared with us, the same Spirit that resurrected Christ from the grave. If we have the spirit of God in us, then we have to be willing to change our earthly distorted morals and ethics for the good and perfect morals and ethics of God. However, here is the bad news. We have a big problem that sometimes gets in the middle of our transformation and obedience. It is the terrible. It is the horrible. It is the detestable sin. Sin is an ever-present reality that enslaves the human race and has corrupted God’s created order. It is the basic corrupting agent in the entire universe. In the Old Testament or Hebrew Bible, the meaning is revolt, a deliberate act of disobedience against God.[3] Now, that we share God’s Spirit, we have the understanding of something very important. We need to understand two very important matters,

1)     Sin is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow

2)     God doesn’t change. He doesn’t compromise.

Now, the good news is that Jesus has brought us freedom from sin. We have been forgiven and reconciled with God. That is why, we are aware that Holy Spirit lives in us. Now, we have the great opportunity to apply God’s dreams in our lives.

Here is the apostle Peter writing to some churches in Asia Minor, Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, and Bithynia.[4] False teachings have reached some of the churches. Peter is reminding them that Christians share the power of God. That is, Christians have everything that is needed to live a godly life, a life according to God’s moral and ethical standards. However, they have to be willing to do it. The manifestation of this godly power is through obedience to the will of God.

Are you familiar with the saying, Knowledge is power? Well, I think is clear and understandable how this saying is very well related to our Christian lives. The knowledge of Christ brings divine power to our lives, because the more we know Jesus, the more we know the Father.

My dear ones, God has not left us alone. Actually, it happens the contrary, once we have accepted our salvation and are more aware of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in us our transformation begins. Our dreams evolve. Our dreams have passed from earthly selfish dreams to divine and remarkable dreams. We have exchanged our dreams for God’s dreams and they are better. Now, we are able to materialize our dreams because we have divine power. God has shared His power with us. Now, we have direction and purpose in our lives. Mainly, we have spiritual and emotional stability in the assurance that God has shared His Spirit with us.

Listen to the CD, Jeremy Camp, The Same Power, song 9



[2] Ibid.
[3] Achtemeire Paul J., Revised Edition Harper Collins Bible Dictionary, (New York, NY. HarperCollins Publishers: 1996), 1026-1027.
[4] The New Interpreter’s Bible. A Commentary in Twelve Volumes, Vol. XII, (Nashville, TN. Abingdon Press: 1998), 325.

No comments:

Post a Comment